Book Proofs

I've been working on some experiments with different bindings for a project that I'm working on. Here are the book proofs. This one is a coptic binding with two needles per sewing station, which makes a stronger spine. The thread was a little bit short towards the end so I couldn't complete the stitch towards the end. Since it's just a proof, the interior pages are just toner transfers but I'm planning to edition the pages in lithography. -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- Another one of my experiments, just a proof as well. It's going to be part of a poem series. Fragile spine for a fragile book. -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- Cutting the characters out of book board with laser cutter. Trying some embossing.

Chrome Theme: Chopper

First time creating a Chrome theme, went a little bit crazily pink with the color, I figured you can't think about Chopper without his pink hat, therefore, pink but the image is of him two years later so I made a blue one as well. The image is from One Piece's 15th opening with some slight colors modifications from me. The theme is free for download in the links below. I made the theme for myself so the best resolution for the theme is 1366x768 or lower. I'll look into making larger ones in the future. Download pink version here or from ThemeBeta. Download blue version here or from ThemeBeta.

Making Christmas Cards

It's not too early to make Christmas cards right? I just wanted to make simple cards and to utilize our letterpress. We have an old school letter press at our studio where the graphics department threw out and the printmaking department salvaged it. All the letters are scattered and disorganized, so it took me 20 minutes to find all the alphabets to 'Merry Christmas'. I soaked some Fabriano Rosapino and laid delicate paper on top and ran it through the etching press to bind the paper together and dried under weight. Then lightly wet the paper again to run it through the letter press. Cutting the excess paper off. The texture doesn't show up well in the picture.
When I'm about to fold it, I realized I printed it upside down, hahahaha.
Oh well. Vertical card it is.

Making A Sewing Cradle

I've wanted to make a sewing cradle for a while and I recall having made some photocopies of instructions- only to realize, silly me, I only copied the first page. So I found this detailed instructions online at Paper Chipmunk. Dimensions of materials:
  • 4.5" x 13" book board x 2
  • 6" x 3.5" book board x 2
  • 3" x 1/2" book board x 8
  • 13.25" x 5.5" of book cloth x 2
    (The book cloth doesn't have to be exact, just slightly longer than the boards and wide enough to cover part of the boards
This is what it looks like after you have followed the instructions and glue everything and let them dry under weights. Sewing cradle assembled.
Sorry for my really yellow desk.